Well the weather finally cooperated and we were able to visit Notre Dame de la Garde (Our Lady of the Guard). We went down to Vieux Port and took the train around the city and by Chateau d'If (where Alexander Dumas' "Count of Monte Cristo took place) on our trek up to see the Crypt and Basilica.
As per the flier, it dates back to 1214 when Master Peter came to live as a hermit on the hill of the Guard. The statue pictured here is Mary and the baby Jesus who is blessing the city and its harbor, as well as everyone who comes to Marseille.
What can I say but that it was truly magnificent. Outside the walls overlook the sea and you can just make out Chateau d'If and a few other islands in the distance.
The crypt was devoid of any decoration, it was very simple and humble. Upstairs the Basilica is a completely different story. The decorations are ornate so say the least. The ceiling is painted gold with doves in a circle. The windows are beautiful stained glass, and there are ships hanging from the ceiling which apparently are supposed to bear witness to the pilgrim's faith and thanksgiving as are the myriad paintings that line the walls. At the front is Mary holding the baby Jesus and presenting him to all who enter.
It was truly a sight and I must say that I cannot wait to make a return trip to see what we may have missed due to our limited time.
If you would like to see more pictures, please check out my facebook page.
After we returned we took a little walk, then had lunch at a child friendly restaurant called Hippo, no I'm not kidding. We all enjoyed our food, and the desserts were yummy too. The kids' meals include entree, dessert, and drink and apparently on Saturdays kids eat free...what luck. The kids each had chocolate mousse for dessert, the cups were huge, but Angus managed to eat all his, Molly not so much. I had the creme brulee which was out of this world.
Blog more later.
Love to all!!!

Thanks so much for writing your blog and letting me live vicariously through your experience!! I absolutely love the European way of life which focuses on family, fun and then work. They definitely have it right!!
ReplyDeleteKristi