Monday, January 4, 2010

Monday, Monday




The picture above is of Notre Dame de la Guarde, and it was taken from the mini balcony (ie you have enough room to just step onto it).  Rob took it yesterday and zoomed in as much as the camera would allow.

We do have a TV here, but there are (as expected) only French channels, so we are spending most of our waking time, listening to music on Rhapsody, playing with the kids, talking, savoring wine and reading.  I actually got a whole book read yesterday and started a new one this morning in the bath.

Today we lazed around in the morning for a while, then ventured out to the MonoPrix which is basically a grocery/department store.  The department store portion is on the ground floor and the grocery is on the upper level.  After a nice little rest, we took a walk down to the Vieux Port stopping along the way to a candy/cookie store and then on the way back to a boulangerie/patisserie.

Can I just say that the food here is spectacular.  Rob went out last night and bought pizza from the same boulangerie we visited today.  It was amazing.  He said when he walked in it said three pizzas for 15Euros, turned out they were a bit bigger than he anticipated, but they made them fresh right in front of him.  The woman brought out three balls of dough and a bucket of sauce and just whipped them up.  There was a cheese pizza, a ham pizza, and a mozzarella pizza.  The mozzarella had big chunks of it in there, no measley shredded stuff.  And the ham was a beautiful thinly sliced ham, so scrumptious.  The bread...oh sweet mother, the bread is so amazing.  It's so easy to just cut off a piece and eat it on it's own or with some jam.  The croissants are breathtaking.  They are soft and fluffy and warm and the ones with bits of chocolate in them are enough to make you weep at their deliciousness.

As I type it is 5:47pm here and the sun has set, the city is lit up and the sky is an amazing shade of indigo with little brush strokes of azure peeking through here and there.  The more I think about it, the more the city reminds me of San Francisco, with the bustling city streets, the farmer's markets, fresh seafood markets, and being on the coast.

That's all I can think of to blog about for now.  I'm sure something has escaped me, but I'm sure it will re-surface at a later time.

Love to all!!!

2 comments:

  1. Good morning! (hahaha)

    I am SO hungry after reading about all your yummy food! I am so happy that France is treating y'all well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are settling in well! Sounds fabulous! I can't wait to see more pictures and hear more stories!

    ReplyDelete