This past Saturday we went to Chateau d'If which is in the Frioul Archipelago about 20 minutes off the coast of Marseille. Chateau d'If was constructed in 1516 as a fortress to help protect Marseille from attacks by sea, then was later used as a prison and was one of the settings for Alexandre Dumas' "The Count of Monte Cristo". All the pictures are posted on Facebook. If you don't have Facebook and want to see the pics, let me know and I'll email them to you.
What can I say about it but WOW, it was absolutely amazing to walk around the fortress/prison, walk into the cells and wonder what the people were like who were there so many centuries ago. I think about that a lot when we wander around and take in all of the history. What were the people like, what did they do, how did they live, and so many other questions swimming around in my head.
One night, not long after we'd gotten here, and the kids were asleep, Rob asked me what I was thinking about. I told him that I was wondering what the people were like who originally lived in this apartment. Did they have a family? What kind of work did they do? What was life like back then? Maybe I'm a bit sentimental that way, but I can't help but wonder.
Anyway, on to the here and now. This coming Saturday we are leaving for Scotland for about a week and some change. Rob has a conference so we'll spend most of the time in Edinburgh, then head to Dunkeld, Perthshire for the conference. I'm so excited I can barely stand it.
Love to all!!

No comments:
Post a Comment